The linking tool allows you to link an entry in your notebook to other entries, pages, or external websites. These links can be used to refer to other data or to link to a specific version of a protocol when trying to ensure the reproducibility of your experiments. To create a link, hover your mouse over an entry and click the three dots, followed by the Links option. When a link is created for an entry, it will appear on the top right of the entry when you hover over the linking icon.
- Open the Link window (hover your mouse over an entry and click the three dots, followed by the Links option).
- Select “Web address/URL.”
- Add the Web address or URL to the Web address/URL field. It is optional to add a description.
- To save, click on the “Add Link” button.
Repeat steps for multiple URLs. Once all links are added, click on the “close” button the bottom right.
You can remove the link by clicking on the “x” next to the link.
1. Open the Link window (hover your mouse over an entry and click the three dots, followed by the Links option).
2. With “Page or entry in this notebook” selected, click “browse” to select an entry or page from the notebook.
3. On the Browse window, select a page or entry that you want to link, then click on the “link to” button at the top of the window.
4. Select "Most current version" or "Version when this link was created."
When you link to a Page or Entry within your Notebook, LabArchives allows you the option to create a link with the most current revision of that Page or Entry.
For example, if you link an entry and make edits later, the link will be updated with the entry with the most recent modifications.
The other option is to link to the version at the time the link was created. If you link an entry and make edits later, the link will remain the same without the new modifications.
5. To save the link, click "Add Link."
Repeat these steps for multiple pages and entries in the notebook. Once all links are added, click on the Close button the bottom-right.
You can also link to pages or entries in another notebook by creating a Share URL. For more information on creating a Share URL Click Here.
1. Obtain a Share URL for a page, folder, or entry.
2. Create or edit a Rich Text Entry and click the link icon.
3. In the Link window, paste the share link in the URL field, and click "OK" when finished.Be sure to save the rich text entry by clicking "Save to Page"
You can attach files that are less than 250MB to your notebook. For large files, you may want to store the file on an external location and link to the file.
Note: Most browsers have security features that prevent you from opening a file directly from the browser. Both Firefox and Chrome offer "add-on" utilities that enable you to open these files.
1. Find the proper URL for the file name.
For Windows users, the standard URL is:
2. Create a Web Address/URL link like the one below, using the URL for the file. Be sure to click "Add Link."
3. If your browser is configured correctly, you will be able to open the file by clicking the link on the right side of the entry. You may need to right click to select how to open the link.