A DOI is indexed, in perpetuity, by the International DOI Foundation, of which LabArchives is a member. While URLs may change or disappear, a DOI is a permanent way to share your data. For example, if you are publishing a paper and want to include a supplemental data set, a DOI would be the preferred method. For more information about DOI's, click here.
How to make a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) in LabArchives
1. To create a DOI for some content in your notebook, right-click that item in the Notebook Navigator and click "Publish Data".
2. Next select “Publish via LabArchives”
3. To show the content of this page, folder or entry in its current state, select “This page/entry/folder as it exists now.” To share the most updated version of this content select “the most recent version of this page/entry/folder.”
4. Select a Creative Commons License for your content. For more information on Creative Commons Licenses, Click Here.
NOTE: Your institution may limit the Creative Commons Licenses available.
5. By checking the appropriate boxes, you can allow viewers to see earlier or later versions of your data. This feature provides for a "dynamic" publication of a dataset, so that a reader may first see the data as it stood at publication, but also past and future history of these data.
6. You can customize the Author, Title, Publisher, Data Management Plan ID, and Grant/Funding ID fields.
7. There are several fields available when adding an author: Author name, ORCID, and a checkbox to determine if this individual is a PI. There is also an option to add co-authors. Click ‘Add co-author(s)’ and another Author, ORCID, PI field will appear.
8. When you are ready to create the DOI click “Create DOI and Publish”.
NOTE: Your institution may prevent DOI creation or require you to obtain permission to create a DOI. For more information about submitting a DOI request please see below.
9. After a few moments, the screen will appear as shown below with your new DOI.
How to Submit a DOI Request
- After step 5 above, you may see an alert like the one below. You can also add a note describing your DOI. The DOI granter will be added to this part of the notebook as a view only Guest.
- While the DOI is pending review you will see it listed on the DOI Management tab. You can remind the DOI Granter by clicking the resend button. You can delete the request by clicking the delete button.
- When the DOI is approved or denied you will receive a notification in the activity feed. If you have email notifications on, you will also receive an email. To view more information about the DOI go to the DOI Management Tool. If the DOI was denied click “Show Denied DOI.” To view any notes made by the granter hover your mouse over the comment icon.