After a student creates their LabArchives Account, you will see their information in the Students tab of the Course Manager.
Every student’s name, email, section, activities, and time of their last activity will be listed here.
- Clicking a student’s notebook icon will allow you to see that student’s notebook.
- You can change the section of an individual student via the drop-down menus in the Section column.
Pushing new content to your students and editing existing content
Your students will not see any changes to the course notebook automatically. You must click to push any updates to your course notebook to your students.
This is located at the top left-hand side of the Course Manager:
After clicking Update Student Notebooks, an alert will appear to confirm your update:
If you make changes to your Instructor Notebook in an entry that has already been pushed to your students, and a student has already edited that entry, changes will not be made to that student’s answer when you push out the update.
A student’s edits will remain in their notebook, including their folder structure. Moreover, if you as the instructor edit a student’s notebook, then push a change to that content from your instructor notebook, your edits will be overwritten. As a best practice, we recommend only pushing new entries to already created student notebooks.
Observing Student Activity
On the Students tab of Course Manager, you can manage your students’ progress and assignments:
After your students edit their notebook or submit an assignment, you will see a notification in the View column of the Notebook Navigator.
- Activity: This icon directs the user to a student’s activity feed. Click here for more information on the activity feed.
- Assignment: A red badge indicates that the student has submitted one or more assignments. Clicking on the icon will take you to that assignment.
- Notification: This will lead you to your students’ assignments or their Activity Feed.
Searching a Student’s Notebook
Using the LabArchives Assignment Navigator, you can do a Basic Search or an Advanced Search in a student’s notebook. To perform an advanced search, click on the downward triangle at the end of the search bar.
If you prefer to hide the search bar, you can click on the arrow, located on the rightside of the screen under Exporting Options.
Exporting Student Notebooks to PDF and Offline HTML
The LabArchives Assignment Navigator, you can download a student’s notebook to an Offline Notebook and PDF.
Clicking on will create an Offline Notebook of a student’s notebook.
Clicking on will create a PDF copy of a student’s notebook.
After selecting one of these options, you will be sent a download link via the email address associated with your account.
You can also send announcements to your students in LabArchives. Announcements will appear as a yellow ribbon when your students log into their course notebooks.
You can do this by:
1. Opening the Course Manager.
2. Clicking the Students tab.
3. Then clicking Send Announcement above the table displaying all of your students in your Students tab.
Announcements can be sent to all students, students in one section, or selected students. You can toggle these choices by selecting a radio dial in the window that appears:
After you send an announcement, students will see a yellow ribbon on top of their screen the next time they access their notebooks.